Interim CTO Leadership
Get an infusion of talent & best practice from industry veteran interim CTOs, CIOs and VPs of Engineering.
Senior technology leaders (roles such as, Chief Technology Officer, Vice President of Engineering, Chief Information Security Officer, and, Chief Information Officer) are scarce, expensive and difficult to keep on staff. Fortunately, most online businesses and SaaS companies do not need a full-time employee in each role.
- If your company is growing fast, or, under pressure to deploy product sooner, or, pivoting to a new business model, or,
- If your management team needs guidance on cloud platform transformation, technical labor sourcing, technology stack evolution, information security, or, a Road Map of disruptive technology changing your industry, or,
- If you need help preparing for investor discussions, or,
- If your company’s client-facing business systems and processes, such as, provisioning, support and subscription billing are the constraint to growth, or,
- If your technical leadership is leaving,
Then interim, part-time, or, task-specific technical leadership can be a timely and cost-effective option worth exploring. Join other fast growing businesses. Contact Telegraph Hill Software to discuss interim, part-time and task-based Technology Leadership Consulting.
Different Roles, Different Responsibilities
CTO, VPE, CISO and CIO have very different responsibilities and face very different challenges in technology, process and personnel. People who excel at one role rarely excel at two.
- CTOs focus primarily on customer-facing use cases and related technology, engineering processes and labor. Example issues include cloud migration & transformation, legacy code evaluation, technology stack planning, guidance about disruptive technologies, labor sourcing strategy, information security risk assessment and remediation. CTOs primarily provide guidance to company leadership on all of the above.
- Vice Presidents of Engineering primarily focus on day-to-day management of software development and operations for customer-facing applications. VPEs work with Chief Product Officers to create technology plans that support the Product Roadmap. VPEs build teams for development, engineering and operation. VPEs set the engineering process.
- CIOs focus primarily on systems that support internal, partner and regulatory use cases. This encompasses a plethora of systems from the company website to email to corporate finance and HR. Also included are industry-specific applications like eCommerce, CRM, ERP, subscription billing, which vary greatly by industry. CIO responsibilities span business software acquisition and implementation, business operations and intelligence (“turning the back office into the front office”), supporting business process improvement and re-engineering, data center operations, network engineering, capacity planning and budgeting and internal IT security.
Overloaded & Out of Position
Senior technology leadership often becomes overloaded. Online businesses and SaaS startup companies often launch with just a single senior technologist as part of the leadership group. Even well-established companies often suffer for the lack of sufficient capability in all these roles. Consequently, people in these roles can become overloaded with an array of responsibilities outside their experience and beyond their available capacity.
Senior technologists are in high demand. If your senior technology leader has announced their departure, you need to take action quickly. Yet, recruiting new technology leadership can take 6 to 16 months.
Contact Telegraph Hill Software to discuss interim, part-time and task-based Technology Leadership Consulting.
Telegraph Hill has advised us from our founding on a product and technology roadmap for our healthcare analytics solutions that fits available funding and revenues.Stuart Jacobson
Chief Data Officer for SaaS Companies
Focus on business systems and analytics without distracting from Product delivery
Your SaaS product customer base is growing. That’s the good news. In other news, customer-facing processes like client on-boarding, user enrollment, customer success/support and subscription invoicing are strained and have become the constraint to growth.
Also, managers, board members and investors are clamoring for better business analytics to drive sales tactics, plan support staff requirements, and, answer investor questions; “What is the cost of customer acquisition?”, “What is the life-time-value of a Customer?”. These are new challenges that confront successful SaaS company leadership.
But, the current technology leaders are already over-stretched trying to build the next product release. And, their skills and experience are quite different from those needed for internal process and systems evaluation, implementation and integration.
Furthermore, the current functional managers don’t agree on the problems, priorities and solutions that would bring the greatest benefit. In fact, they don’t even seem to agree on the definitions of some pretty basic terms; like customer, and, subscription.
At this point, each functional area is likely to go in search of point solutions. And, terms like data warehouse and business process re-engineering are bandied about.
Telegraph Hill Software has the experience and expertise to help your company to the next stage of growth.
New skills for new challenges
Telegraph Hill Practice Directors have experience in exactly these situations. They bring together the business consulting, solution evaluation, systems integration and analytics skills to create consensus, write a plan and execute
- Business analysis: Using facilitated meeting techniques THS builds consensus among functional managers for the definition of the problems at hand, their degree of urgency and sequencing.
- Technical architecture: Together, we evaluate applications, typically other SaaS applications, from large-scope COTS packages to small-scope SaaS apps to form the basis of systems supporting business processes and analytics. And, we define the data structures required to support analytics.
- Implementation: THS can staff and manage the array of skills needed to implement and integrate the components and create/populate the analytics repository.
Telegraph Hill Software has the experience and expertise to help your company to the next stage of growth.
Our content delivery solution includes SaaS, mobile software, cloud storage and professional services. Telegraph Hill gives us the guidance we need to meet enterprise IT standards at a price we can afford.Dennis McKnew
Vice President of Engineering Services
Leadership to scale technology organizations in a highly competitive labor market while managing risk.
As a technology leader, you know that hiring technical talent is an enormous challenge. Your company is committed to building products at your offices. So, there’s no shrinking from the challenge of building great technology teams on-site. And, there’s no denying the economic advantages of offshore labor.
But, your most urgent tasks are immediate product development and deployment. Your calendar is already double and triple booked. And your direct reports are even less available.
So, how do you find the time to recruit, screen, interview and on-board onsite technologists? How do you strike the best balance of onsite and off-shore?
You need a partner you can trust to propose the best balance of on-site and off-shore talent without an incentive to sell you either. A partner who can recruit high quality, difficult-to-reach technical talent, on-board them, assign them to appropriate projects and give you the option to convert the people you want to full-time employees.
Telegraph Hill Software can help you scale up your organization and keep your hiring risk low.
Telegraph Hill Software offers Vice President of Engineering services to address this need. Telegraph Hill can help you more rapidly recruit, interview and on-board consultants under contract-to-hire terms. Contract-to-hire means you work with developers and other technologists then offer to convert them to full-time employees as the need arises.
Where productivity or other performance concerns arise, Telegraph Hill will be responsible for replacing the consultant. Where the consultant becomes an integral part of your team, and, at your request, Telegraph Hill works with your HR department to offer the consultant full-time employment with your company.
Telegraph Hill’s managers excel at evaluating top technical talent across the entire spectrum of skills necessary for a rapidly-growing, elite SaaS firm like ours. Although they are not a staffing firm, they’ve assisted us in building a great team.John MacIlwaine
Onsite Agile Software Engineering
We enable you to leverage high-performance, on-demand teams that work from your offices, on your schedule, and on your challenges.
OK, let’s strip the Agile Development manifesto down to its essence: The smallest, co-located team of highly skilled engineers deliver the highest-quality software, at the lowest cost, in the least time.
Telegraph Hill delivers this essence on a daily basis by providing on-site software and data development services using open-source components to build mission-critical business software and data solutions for digital firms in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Our experienced engineers are a catalyst to development productivity by working at your offices as an integral part of your technology organization. Working primarily with open-source technologies, our senior engineers, analysts and managers are expert in:
- Responsive UI and web content development
- Automated test frameworks, test design and development
- DevOps engineering and related script development
- Systems engineering and related operating system configuration
- Machine learning, natural language and intelligent systems
- Image and voice signal processing and recognition
- Enterprise API and middleware technologies
- Microservices architecture and implementation
- Relational and NoSql data solutions
- Big data, data warehouse and operational data stores
- Ecommerce and online advertising data solutions
- Mobile application development
- Agile team leads and technical project managers
Telegraph Hill created a dedicated, highly-skilled cross-functional Agile team with strong leaders. They’re customer-focused. Their ability to identify potential gaps in the process—then make suggestions on how to overcome them—helped get us to the finish line.Chaomei Chen
Welcome to the “app culture” – fast-paced releases with smaller, self-contained deliverables.
An effective process is one that recognizes and responds to stated goals and the specific dynamics of its environment. While the pace of today’s software development environment is dizzying, and software development management is more critical than ever, there is no silver-bullet, off-the-shelf process that works for all companies. Not one!
There is no silver bullet – not all Agile best practices are universally applicable.
The reality is that every company must create a software development process that works within their context. At Telegraph Hill, we understand that. Since there is no one-size-fits-all process, we help define, create and implement processes that are unique to your business, culture, workforce and the software universe at large. The result is a tuned and balanced development approach that considers all the dynamics of your organization and your agenda.
The Agile process is not a silver bullet – you still need to deliver the end game.Eric Lan
Customer Engagement Center
The right people; experts in both the underlying technology platforms and industry best practices.
When embarking upon a technology transformation in the customer experience space, often times companies will rely solely on the vendor’s Professional Services organization to perform business analysis, requirements, design, and implementation. Without having technical expertise and resources trained on the new system in-house, this model can lead to a disconnect between the business requirements and the design, and a deficiency in delivering a best-in-class solution due to a “like-for-like” migration approach from the outdated technology. A consultative approach is necessary to evaluate the legacy system configuration and business processes to propose a value-added methodology that considers both IT and Business operational impacts.
A fully resilient Application Architecture that first takes into consideration the upstream and downstream integration dependencies is also paramount to gauge the complexity and insure the effort is sized properly. It should serve as the foundation to enable the business to realize their short and long-term strategies and align with the technology road map.
“Telegraph Hill Software led the successful deployment of our Genesys call center infrastructure after years of false starts.”KG
Mission-critical software and data development services, on-site, at fast moving SF Bay Area digital businesses.
Founded in 2010, our ability to provide highly experienced, cost effective and local development talent has made Telegraph Hill an essential partner at many Bay Area businesses.
Our experienced engineers maximize development productivity by working at our clients’ offices as an integral part of their technology organization. Using primarily open-source technologies, our senior engineers, analysts and managers are expert in technology management.
- Agile Development
- Agile Team Leads, Technical Project Managers
- Interim CTO, Interim CIO and Interim VP or Engineering Leadership
- IT Risk Management Consulting
- Information Security Consulting
- Business Intelligence, Data Architecture and Reporting
- Automated Test Frameworks, Test Design & Development
- IT Operations
Problems We Solve
- DevOps Continuous Integration & Delivery
- Enterprise API & Middleware Technologies
- Image & Voice Signal Processing & Recognition
- Machine Learning, Natural Language & Intelligent Systems
- Big Data, Date Warehouse and Operational Data Stores
- Business Intelligence, Data Mining & Quantitative Analytics
- Microservices Architecture & Implementation
- Ecommerce and Online Advertising Software Technologies
- Cloud Enablement
Skills We Possess
- Java, Python, Scripting Languages
- Responsive UI , HTML/CSS & Web Content Development
- SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop, Stream/Event Columnar
- RDBMS Oracle, Sql Server, MySql, Others
- Linux & Android Drivers, Configuration, Administration
- Mobile iOS & Android Application Development
- Open-source Projects, Components & Integration
Much more software is being developed by all companies, in all industries, than was ever true in the past.David Ward